How do I complain about my postal service?

If you wish to complain about a Royal Mail service, in the first instance you will need to contact Royal Mail Customer Services.

Royal Mail can be contacted in the following ways:

Customer Service Helpline: 03457 740 740 (textphone 0846000606)

Address for complaints:

Royal Mail Customer Services



If you have already complained to Customer Services or are not satisfied with their response you can ask to escalate your complaint to Royal Mail’s Postal Review Panel.  This acts as the final stage in Royal Mail’s complaint handling process.   

The Postal Review Panel is a ‘ring fenced’ team that sits outside of Royal Mail Customer Services and is empowered to independently review complaints from customers who have used a Royal Mail service. 

They can be contacted directly by emailing or by writing to FREEPOST, Postal Review Panel.  However they will normally ask for a reference number issued by Customer Services before they can review a complaint.

If your complaint is about another postal operator, you should ask to escalate your complaint to a manager responsible for complaints

If your complaint still cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, the postal operator can issue a ‘deadlock’ notice that will allow you to ask the independent postal redress scheme (POSTRS) to investigate your case. Please note, only regulated postal operators are covered by this scheme.

A list of postal operators who are covered by the POSTRS scheme can be found on its website. You will need to have progressed your complaint through all stages of the operators’ complaint handling process before you may be referred to this scheme.

For independent advice or guidance, you can contact the Citizens Advice consumer service. The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues.

You can contact the Citizens Advice consumer service by telephone on 03454 04 05 06 or via its website.