Services and Billing

What can I do about bad customer service?

Frustrated woman on phoneIf you experience poor customer service you should highlight this to the company concerned.

All communication providers are required to have a Code of Practice (CoP) outlining, amongst other things, how they will deal with customer complaints.

The CoP is sometimes available on the company’s website, back of a bill or directly from customer services.

If you follow their complaints procedure, the chances are any problems will be resolved.

If you exhaust this process and remain unhappy, or if your complaint has been ongoing for more than 8 weeks, you may be able to approach an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

At the moment Ofcom has approved two ADR schemes – CISAS and Ombudsman Services: Communications.

Your phone company will tell you which scheme it is a member of, or you can use our ADR checker.

This process is only available for residential and small business customers (with 10 or less employees); if you are a larger business, you will need to consider alternative options such as legal advice.

Watch our video guide to telecoms complaints

Tell Ofcom

Although it isn’t Ofcom’s role to handle customer service complaints, we still take a close interest in monitoring consumer experiences.

The information you give us is used to identify trends and can lead to us investigating a particular company's behaviour.

You can help us by filling in ourconsumer monitoring form.