Services and Billing

How do I know which ADR scheme my communication provider is with?

To find out which ADR scheme to use, please contact your provider directly, or refer to each ADR scheme's website:


Ombudsman Services

If your provider does not belong to an ADR scheme but you believe they should, please make us aware by calling 0300 123 3333 or completing this online form: No complaints process

Updated: July 2015