Services and Billing

Is there an obligation on a communications provider to issue a deadlock letter?

If you have complained to your service provider, gone through the service provider’s complaints procedure and your concerns still aren’t resolved, the next thing to try is the service provider’s Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

Learn more about ADR schemes

ADR schemes are meant to supplement, not replace, a service provider’s own complaints procedure, so you can only use its ADR scheme if:

You have tried to make a complaint to the provider and had no success AND 8 weeks or more has passed since you first complained to the company OR;

Your provider has written to you to say they’re not going to do anything else about your complaint – known as a “deadlock” letter. The provider should provide you with a deadlock letter unless they are still actively trying to resolve your complaint.

However, it is up to a communications provider whether they issue a deadlock letter.