Services and Billing

How do I dispute a bill?

man looking at billFirst, check with everyone else in the house to make sure that the charges do not relate to services they have used.

If the charges are still not recognised, you should contact your service provider.

It may be helpful to send them a copy of your bill, highlighting the relevant charges and the reasons why they are being disputed.

How to make a complaint

If your provider doesn’t agree, you should follow their formal complaints procedure. Details of this should be available through their website or customer services.

If you exhaust this process and remain unhappy, or if your complaint has been ongoing for more than 8 weeks, you can submit your complaint to an independent Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

At the moment Ofcom has approved two ADR schemes – CISAS and Ombudsman Services: Communications.

Your phone company will tell you which scheme it is a member of, or you can use our ADR checker.

Watch our video guide to telecoms complaints

Tell Ofcom

If you have had problems of this nature, please let us know.

You can do this by completing this short monitoring form – Disputed items on bill

Although Ofcom does not investigate individual complaints, your help in highlighting problems plays a vital part in our work and we may investigate a company if monitoring data reveals a particular problem.