Services and Billing

What is Ofcom’s role in relation to disputed bills?

Phone and calculatorIt’s an Ofcom rule that phone companies must provide you with a correct bill for the calls and services you’ve actually used.

That’s why companies with a turnover of £40 million or more must have their billing systems approved by a specialist body.

But even with these precautions, mistakes sometimes happen.

There may be times when you  receive a bill which has charges that you do not recognise, or that you dispute having made.

These can range from call charges to charges for other services such as voicemail.

The first thing you need to do is  check with everyone in the house to make sure that the charges do not relate to services they have used.

If the charges are still not recognised, you should contact your service provider.

It may be helpful to send them a copy of your bill, highlighting the relevant charges and the reasons why you don’t think they’re right.

How to make a complaint

If your provider doesn’t agree, you should follow their formal complaints procedure. Details of this should be available through their website or customer services.

Tell Ofcom

If you have had problems of this nature, please let us know.

You can do this by completing this short monitoring form – Disputed items on bill

Although Ofcom does not investigate individual complaints, your help in highlighting problems plays a vital part in our work and we may investigate a company if monitoring data reveals a particular problem.

If you exhaust this process and remain unhappy, or if your complaint has been ongoing for more than 8 weeks, you can submit your complaint to an independent Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

At the moment Ofcom has approved two ADR schemes – CISAS and Ombudsman Services: Communications.

Your phone company will tell you which scheme it is a member of, or you can use our ADR checker.

Watch our video guide to telecoms complaints