What is mobile mis-selling?

Man on mobileThere are various ways that a company can potentially mis-sell to you.

These can range from pretending to be another company or misleading you in relation to the tariff or characteristics of a mobile phone package.

In the mobile industry, mis-selling may be done by either the mobile service provider or a retailer/reseller acting on their behalf.

If a company has mis-led you in to agreeing to their services, this may breach Ofcom regulations.

How you can help us tackle mis-selling

Consumers continue to play a vital role in helping us tackle mis-selling.

Although we can’t investigate individual cases, your complaints can lead to us launching investigations and ultimately to us taking action.

By working with us to tackle mis-selling, you can help bring about much wider benefits for millions of consumers and ensure that others don’t fall victim to this problem.

I have been mis-sold a service and want to complain to Ofcom

Next steps to take

Complain to the provider involved. If you’re switching from your current provider, you can get the order cancelled during the switchover period. You can do this up to 24 hours before the transfer takes place.

If you can’t stop the transfer and you become a customer of the company, you should follow its complaints procedure.

Click here for details of how to make a telecoms complaint. Our guide explains what you need to do each step of the way.


If the mis-selling was performed by a retailer/reseller and you have been unable to resolve the issue with them, you may wish to contact the Citizens Advice consumer service.

The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues. You can contact the Citizens Advice consumer service by telephone on 08454 04 05 06 or via its website.

You may also want to let the mobile service provider know about your experience with the retailer/reseller selling their services.