How do I keep my mobile phone number when switching provider?

Man on mobileIf you want to transfer to another mobile phone provider – and you want to take your existing number with you – you need to get a Porting Authorisation Code or PAC.

Phone your existing mobile provider and ask them for a PAC. It must be issued to you immediately over the phone or within two hours by text message.

Your PAC is likely to be a nine digit code and is valid for 30 days. If it runs out, you will need to request a new PAC from your existing mobile provider.

You should then contact your new mobile provider and give them your PAC.

Once your new provider has your PAC and notifies your existing provider of the port request, your number will normally be transferred the next working day.

Some mobile phone providers may charge you a fee to move your number. You must also remember that, if you are still under contract to your old company, you may still be liable for charges under that contract.

Mobile contact numbers

3 0843 373 3333

O2 08705 678 678

EE 07953 966250

Tesco Mobile 0845 301 4455

Virgin Mobile 0845 6000 789

Vodafone 08080 044 423