Can my mobile provider refuse to give me a PAC?

Man on mobile

Mobile phone customers have the right to take their mobile number with them when they switch to a new provider.

This is known as mobile number portability.

The process is simple. To port your number, you ask your current mobile provider for a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) before your service is terminated.

You then give the PAC to your new mobile provider.

The only reasons why a provider can refuse to give a PAC are:

  • the number does not belong to the customer of the losing mobile provider
  • the account for that number has been terminated
  • the account holder has died
  • a PAC has already been issued and is still valid
  • the customer has not adequately proved that he or she is the legitimate account holder.

Your provider cannot refuse to issue a PAC if you have any outstanding bills or charges to pay.

These charges should be included in your final bill after the port has taken place. You should then settle them as agreed in your contract.

Use this letter template if you want to request a PAC code

Use this letter template if you have not received your PAC code